lables posts

Monday, August 31, 2015

DIY Coaster

Ever since I got my new night table I've needed to be using a coaster on it to hold my water cup because it's wood. When we went to a beach resort they let you do DIY coaster as a craft and ever since I've been painting new Lilly Pulitzer patterns and other things on the coaster.

Tools
-Sanding block (I use a nail file)
-A coaster
-Felt
-Hot glue gun and glue sticks
-Acrylic paint
-Paint brushes
-Modge Podge (not necessary)

I had to paint Gesso on my coaster because I already had a print on it, but you don't need to do this. If you want your acrylic paint to stick well then you might want to get Gesso and paint a layer or two on the coaster. Gesso is a surface primer for acrylic paint that painters use to prime things like glass, wood surfaces, and to paint over used canvases. It's a little expensive so if you're only going to use it once I wouldn't recommend buying it because it's not too necessary.
After that I took my nail file (because I couldn't find a sanding block) and sanded some of it down to smooth it out a little better.
I then went to Google and searched for references of Lilly Pulitzer prints that I wanted to do. You absolutley don't have to use Lilly Pulitzer prints on your coaster! You can do whatever you want!

I just did a quick outline and painted mine!



And this is my finished product! As you can tell I did an impression of Lilly Pulitzer's print Luck Charms.
If you want to set your painting I would recommend waiting over night but even better is two days after you've painted before you put the Modge Podge on it just to make sure all of the paint is dry! Once everything is dry I cut a piece of felt into the shape of the coaster and hot glued it on the bottom of my coaster so it wouldn't scratch up the wood on my night table.
That's it! Tell me if you're going to do this in the comments!
XOXO Alyson

2 comments:

  1. OMG that is beautiful!!! I wish I wasn't so bad at crafting...
    Love,

    Ane | Basque Prep

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks so much!!! I bet you're not that bad at crafting!
      XO Alyson

      Delete

I love hearing from y'all so don't be afraid to comment! I read them all and I try to respond to everyone!
Keep in mind if your comment is rude or irrelevant I do reserve the right to take it down. I like to keep my blog a fun and happy place that people enjoy coming to and I just ask that you respect that!