lables posts

Wednesday, September 2, 2015

DIY Lap Desk

My mom had given me a lap desk a long, long time ago and I was really young when she did give it to me. I used to write and draw all over it with perminte marker. This summer though I decided to paint on the backside of it and I thought I would share how I did it!
 Materials
-Gesso (optional)
-Acrylic paint
-Paint brush
-Modge Podge (optional)
-Painters Tape (optional- only if your design needs it)
-Pillow (optional)
-Hot glue gun or staple gun (optional)
 I first started with painting Gesso all over my lap desk just so I could start out with a white base and acylic paint adheres to Gesso well. Gesso is like a surface primer that artists use to prime glass, wood, or just to cover an old painting to paint something new. It's a little pricey so if you're only really going to use it once I wouldn't recommend getting it unless you really want to have your paint adhere. You can also just use white acrylic paint to have a white base, but it could possibly flake.
 I then used painters tape to make stripes across the board and painted pink stripes.

 I then painted green.

After everything dried I peeled off the tape.
I had to go in and clean up some of the edges with my Gesso.
I then wrote my name in a curly font with black paint.

These steps are optional and I didn't do these, but you might so it will last longer.
 After a day or two you can paint Modge Podge on it to seal it a little more. I would recommend painting Modge Podge on it a day or two after you paint it just to make sure everything is set and dry.
One last thing you can do to make it a little more of a lap desk is to either use a pillow or make one to the size of your lap desk and hot glue it or use a staple gun to keep it on the board. I didn't do these steps but if you want to make it a little fancier then you can do these steps!

I'd love to know if you're going to be making one of these, just leave it in the comments!
XOXO Alyson

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from y'all so don't be afraid to comment! I read them all and I try to respond to everyone!
Keep in mind if your comment is rude or irrelevant I do reserve the right to take it down. I like to keep my blog a fun and happy place that people enjoy coming to and I just ask that you respect that!