Friday, November 20, 2015

My Tips and Tricks for Packing Light

I know a lot of families are going out of state (maybe even out of the country) for Thanksgiving break and you know what that means? Packing. Ugh, that's such a dreaded word for me because I've always struggled with packing. I always pack way too much and most of the things I pack aren't comfortable. I know it's weird I pack things I don't exactly "love." I think my whole thought process on it is that I never wear the clothes at home so I might wear them on vacation, and news flash to myself: I'm not going to wear those items on vacation. 
Not only clothes do us girls have to deal with bringing, but we also have to deal with all the beauty products, and for some obscure reason we need tons and tons of products (how come guys only require deodorant and toothpaste and we need to bring a whole beauty salon with us?)
I thought (since I'm a professional packer *major eye roll*) I would share some tips I've acquired throughout the years of traveling on how to packing light. Maybe this comibg Spring break I'll take my own advice for packing light!
Pic Via.

Bring clothes you actually like.
And clothes that are actually appropriate for the climate your heading to. Like I said above I seem to always want to wear clothes that I've never worn before and I never really wore them because they were uncomfortable. Because of that I pack my most favorite items that are appropriate for the climate that I'm heading to. Whether it's one of my favorite Lilly Pulitzer tops and shorts or my favorite jeans and a vest I know I have clothing item that are comfy and that I know I look good in.

Basics, basics, basics.
Hey guess what? You might want to bring basics (haha). If you're going away for a couple of days one of the best things you can bring is basics and maybe a scarf and a statement necklace to pair in and out with outfits. They don't have to be a white top, gray top, jeans, and denim shorts. It can be bright colors, but make them things that can be interchangeable. Maybe its a fun patterned pair of shorts and you could have two t shirts with the colors matching the shorts and then bring along a denim pair of shorts to wear with those two tops too.

Bring about three pairs of shoes.
Dress shoes, shoes you can run around in, and tennis shoes. Of course if you feel like you don't need a pair (or two) go ahead and not pack them. Maybe you already know you don't need tennis shoes, you could go ahead and pack something else or just go with two! Of course if you're going to a cooler climate I would recommend putting riding boots and/ or L.L. Bean Boots in that mix!

Bring only your basic makeup.
For me that would be concealer, foundation, powder, blush, eyebrow powder, and mascara. I also squeeze my blush brush, kabuki brush, and angled brow brush in that mix. I also have a two posts (here and here) related to my quick and essential makeup if you need any help on deciding.  

Bring only your everyday hair products/ tools.
My everyday products would be my leave in conditioner, hair oil, and mousse; and my tools would be a comb (not kidding, that's all I need). Sometimes I'll bring along a curling iron OR a round brush in case I decide not to wear my hair naturally curly one day. In my opinion there is no need to bring a blow dryer because most hotels have those, and shampoo and conditioner because you're already supplied with those things at a hotel. 

If you have anymore tips just leave them in the comments!

2 comments:

  1. UGH THANK YOU! This came right at the perfect time, I'm leaving for out of state on Monday and I have NO CLUE what to bring there.
    Love,

    Ane | Basque Prep

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy I could help!!! Your comment literally made my day, because I at least helped someone, haha! Have a good trip and good luck packing!!!
      XO Alyson

      Delete

I love hearing from y'all so don't be afraid to comment! I read them all and I try to respond to everyone!
Keep in mind if your comment is rude or irrelevant I do reserve the right to take it down. I like to keep my blog a fun and happy place that people enjoy coming to and I just ask that you respect that!