Saturday, January 2, 2016

My Top 5 Tips for a 2nd Semester Buckle Down


No matter how much we try to avoid second semester it's going to come. I know I'm being a debbie downer ,and I'm dreading second semester as much as anyone else, but it's better to be prepared than unprepared. To be 100% honest I don't want to write this at all. I still want to be in winter break mode. I still want to wake up at 10:30 every morning, go through my day as I please, and not have to move my backpack that's stuffed in the corner of my closet. That's just wishful thinking. I'm starting to have to work on school things (and guess which class? If you guessed AP World History you're 100% correct!) and I do have to move my backpack away from the corner and back by my desk.
I'm not too scared of second semester though, because it's usually my best semester. I don't know if it's because I get used to my teachers individual ways of grading, if I finally know which classes I need to work harder in, or just the fact that I'm finally in school mode instead of still wishing for summer to come back. It's a common pattern for me though, I always seem to struggle a little first semester and then second semester is smooth sailing. 
I know for some people it can be completely different. To relieve some of the stress off their shoulders I thought I would make a list of my top five tips for a second semester buckle down.

Review the syllabus.
One thing that is always good to do is review the syllabus. Review what your teachers exceptions are in class and how they grade things. In my school all teachers have different grading policies (some accept late work some don't, some allow makeup work some don't, etc, etc.) so I always like review their rules to make sure I'm following them correctly. I also know some teachers add assignments, tests, quizzes, and big projects to the syllabus so reviewing the things that will be do, and making sure you give yourself enough time to complete them is also smart.

Refresh your supplies.
Pencils, pens, paper, folders, binders, whatever you're running low on it's a good time to pick up now. I always need to refresh my supplies midway through the year and I know most students need to too. 

Buy a planner.
My planner is literally my best friend. I write almost everything in it. You will save yourself so much stress by writing homework down instead of trying to remember it.

Stay organized from the start.
Clean out papers in your binder from last semester, clean out any trash in your backpack, reorganize anything that is out of place, and then keep it like that. One secret of many straight A students are that they stay organized (and write assignments in planners!). They know where all they're assignments are so they don't have missing work, they get things done by the due date, and they're always prepared. 

Make a goal list.
Goal lists are an amazing way to put things down on paper for all the things you want to accomplish. It keeps you on a good track for the semester and makes sure you're accomplishing the things you wanted to accomplish at the beginning of the year.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from y'all so don't be afraid to comment! I read them all and I try to respond to everyone!
Keep in mind if your comment is rude or irrelevant I do reserve the right to take it down. I like to keep my blog a fun and happy place that people enjoy coming to and I just ask that you respect that!