Friday, February 19, 2016

Tips from a First Year Blogger

Pic Via


Make your blog presentable.
For a long time my blog looked very, um, blogger. There's nothing wrong with it looking like a basic blogger blog, but you'll attract more readers and seem more professional if you make your blog very original. I'm not saying that you need to pay a lot of money for a web-designer to design your blog. I've designed everything personalized on my blog myself. There are a lot of useful websites all over to help you design specific things for your blog. Xomisse has amazing tutorials!

Start posting things on social media.
Whether its Pinterest, Instagram, Twitter, Tumblr, whatever, posting and getting out there is something very important to do. People wont just come to your blog because they "stumble upon it." You need to attract people and the best way to do that is through social media since it's used so heavily nowadays.

Take good pictures.
I like to think of it as, "Would I pin this picture if it came across on my Pinterest feed?" If the answer is no then I 100% don't use it in a post. You don't have to take pictures from a DSLR or Canon camera, I seriously just use my phone, but try and make the background look nice, make sure the lighting is at its best, and I always edit my photos a little bit.

Posts things YOU like.
Getting inspiration for posts can be rough. I have gone a couple weeks without posting really anything because I don't have any inspiration.  Most of the time it's not because I don't have any ideas, it's more of I don't know if my readers would like to read it. That's when blogging can really become unenjoyable and I have to remind myself that I blog for me and if others don't like what I post then it's okay if they don't read.

Comment on other peoples posts (and put a link to your blog!).
I love commenting on other peoples posts in general, but this is also a good way to get your name out there.

Post consistently.
Having a schedule not only helps you stay on track with posting, but your readers will easily know when posts are coming. I try to post on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, and I also always try to squeeze in a weekly update post at the end of the week. Even if you can only post once or twice a week, having a set schedule really helps to keep you organized and on track.

Have a running list of ideas.
This is something I need to do more of because I go in these week long stages where I have no inspiration to write. Having a place where you can put your ideas and pull from, not only helps you to post consistently, it also keeps you very organized.

Engage with readers.
Something that has become of a little bit of a pet peeve is when I see comments, or comment on someones blog and them not respond. I 100% understand when bloggers don't have time because that happens to me, but engaging with your readers will make them feel heard and welcomed to your blog.

Set up an email account.
This is one thing I don't have for this blog that I need to get, but this will help people to contact you. Your readers, other bloggers, and maybe even brands!

Write a great about me page!
This is a key area that readers will normally go to before they subscribe. They want to know more about the person they read and it makes them feel more welcomed. I've always had trouble writing my about me page so I've just written random things into mine and tried to make it interesting, haha. The key is to make it as you as you can. I sometimes think of it as a more rambly  and conversational post.

Research, research, research!
I am constantly researching things to improve my blog. Post ideas, how to code html, etc. Us bloggers don't know everything, we just research all the time!

7 comments:

  1. This is such a great list Alyson! Will definitely follow your advice!
    Love,

    Ane | Basque Prep

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! Your blog is amazing and so cute! I was wondering how you made the title and the xoxo, alyson part? Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you so much!!! Okay, so the header and XOXO Alyson actually took a while to figure out, haha, but it's pretty easy! I can do a whole post about it if you want because it is kind of long and detailed and would be easier to show with pictures. It would go up Friday by the way. If not I can just type it all here, but you might just want to see pictures because it can get really confusing just typed out! Thanks so much for commenting!
      XO Alyson

      Delete
    2. Now that I think about my schedule I could possibly get it up by Wednesday, instead of Friday. And by title, do you mean the big My Life as Alyson banner at the top? And the XOXO Alyson signature at the bottom of each post?
      XO Alyson

      Delete
    3. Yes! They are so cute and was wondering how I could make my own! Also if you made a blog post about it that would be awesome, I'm sure a lot of people would like it! Thanks so much.

      Delete
    4. The post is planned to go up Friday! Thanks so much for commenting!
      XO Alyson

      Delete

I love hearing from y'all so don't be afraid to comment! I read them all and I try to respond to everyone!
Keep in mind if your comment is rude or irrelevant I do reserve the right to take it down. I like to keep my blog a fun and happy place that people enjoy coming to and I just ask that you respect that!