lables posts

Monday, March 14, 2016

Building A Classic Wardrobe

My style, well you could say is very preppy. I love bright colors, classic cuts, and especially navy over black. One thing about preppy fashion though, is that it can run a bit pricey, but I really think that the preppy style will never truly go out of fashion. Here are some of my tips for building a timeless wardrobe that I've used over the years.
Pic Via

Clean out the things you don't want.
I do this at the end of every season and couldn't recommend it more. There is always multiple items that I realize I don't like anymore, whether it was a trendy item that has gone out of style, something with holes or stains, or something that doesn't fit right anymore. The best thing you can do is get rid of it instead of letting it keep up hanger space. Now if you're as indecisive as me, I would recommend keeping it in a bag, box, or a pile in your closet for a week or three just to be sure you want to give it up.

Look for clothes that fit your body type.
I have a habit of buying things that don't fit my body type really well. Usually it's too big and I'm left with it hanging in my closet with the tag still on it. This is my favorite body chart to look at for all different body types. Of course, you 100% don't have too follow these rules, and sometimes you may have a certain body type but look good in a clothing style for a different body type. It's more of a suggestion to make you look and feel your best. Also, buying more expensive items will be easier to decide if you want it or not because you can go off of it looking good on your body type.

Quality over quantity.
Don't get me wrong buying tons of clothes at a time from Forever 21 or H&M can be nice, but after it falling apart after a couple washes isn't always nice. I do like shopping at those places and getting pieces from there, but sometimes it better to have things that will last for a really long time instead of having things that only last a while.

Build off the basics.
Starting with basics is the way to go. All the way from simple jackets, tops, pants, shoes, etc. You can have a closet filled with basics, have accessories, and you have a completely interchangeable closet. The basics can be your better quality while the accessories can be trendier items.

Move away from the expensive trendy items.
Since trends do move in and out depending on the season, and a vast majority of those trends don't stick around for the next season, it's a good idea to shy away from expensive, trendier items. Go to places like H&M and Forever 21, I still don't think their clothes last, but trends come in and out fast enough to where it's okay if those clothes don't last as long.

Keep your budget in mind.
Always, always, always set a budget so you don't spend over board and this also leads me into my next tip...

Slowly build instead of all of a sudden.
Instead of going out and buying a lot of expensive things at once it's better to do it little by little. It helps you to stay within your budget, but you also may end up getting better deals if there is a flash sale, or if the item does go on the sale rack. You may also end up liking a specific item and you buy a lot of it, but then the next season you have a ton of items that you don't like. It's better to build slowly instead of all at once. 


2 comments:

  1. This is a great list. I have been clearing my closet using Poshmark or donating my clothes in order to get those pieces I will wear forever. Also, happy belated birthday! :)
    Love,

    Ane | Basque Prep

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from y'all so don't be afraid to comment! I read them all and I try to respond to everyone!
Keep in mind if your comment is rude or irrelevant I do reserve the right to take it down. I like to keep my blog a fun and happy place that people enjoy coming to and I just ask that you respect that!