lables posts

Wednesday, August 10, 2016

How to Have a Great First Day

Nothing can be more nerve racking than your first day. Whether it's your first day of school or the first day starting a new job, it can be terrifying. I used to get major anxiety attacks the night before my first day of school and I have never been able to figure out why.
I'm a major homebody and getting into the rhythm of staying home most of summer and just being with my family can be hard for me to leave. I'm also a person who really hates change, and starting a new schedule and going to new classrooms can be a little unsettling for me.

 Those many years of being nervous though has helped me to figure out what I need to do to have a great first day. I now have very, very little nerves on my first day of school and I wanted to share with y'all everything I do to have a great first day!

Pic Via

Wear your favorite outfit.

My favorite quote is "I'm nicer when I like my outfit," because it couldn't be more true.We all feel better when we wear something we really love, because well, you know you look good in it. I always wear my favorite outfit on the first day. You also don't have to worry about fiddling with something uncomfortable.

Spend a little more time on your makeup.

I personally believe that first impressions are everything. How you present yourself the first time is usually how people will always remember you. I personally like to put a little more time in my makeup for the first day so I know I'll look my best all day. I still do my normal routine, but I just wake up a little earlier so I can spend more time on it. 

Go in with a friend.

I think we can all agree that friends our our security blankets come experiencing something new. Friends can alleviate a lot of stress because you know at least one person you can lean on when you have to experience something new. They're someone to talk to and someone to share the new stress with.

Have a filling breakfast.

I can't focus on anything when I'm hungry. Having a good breakfast will help you stay focused and confident.

Introduce yourself.

If you don't have a friend in the class don't be too timid to say hi to someone. As a shy person myself this can be a little difficult, but you don't know if the person sitting next to you will be your next really good friend. 

Sit up straighter and smile.

If you don't feel confident try acting like you are. I always say, " Fake it till you make it." Sometimes acting like you're confident, will make you feel confident. 

Do your hair.

Just like spending more time on your makeup, spend time on your hair. Do a style that you know looks good. If you don't like how you look with your hair curled, then wear it straight. If you think your outfit will look better with an up-do then go for an up-do. Do what you feel is best.

Pack your bags the night before.

Nothing is worse than running around stressing about not finding everything you need. The night before pack any bags you'll need. Have your lunch sitting in the fridge so you can quickly grab it, put all your pencils in your bags so you're not constantly asking for one, put extra paper in your bag just to be prepared to write lists down, etc.

Wear comfy shoes.

I usually see girls walking around in heels on the first day, and I can't imagine what that's like walking down the steps. Heels are 100% uncomfortable no matter what in my opinion. Unless it's office dress code, then go for a really cute pair of flats or a low heel.

Know your schedule.

Know the classes you're going to at certain times. Know when lunch is. Know when school ends and starts. Same for offices. Knowing your schedule can just alleviate so much stress because you know what's going to happen next.

Find a place to meet up with friends. 

Before going to lunch text any of your friends and make a plan on where to meet so you can eat together. Meet up with a friend in the hall before going to the same class (just make sure you're out of the way!). It's the same situation as going in with a friend, you feel more comfortable around them.

Think positively.

Thinking negatively wont help your nerves what so ever. Instead of thinking, "I wont have any friends in this class," think "I can make a new friend in this class." Instead of thinking "I'm not going to find my next class," think, "If I'm lost I'll ask a teacher for directions." It's all thinking positively and having faith that everything is going to be okay.

Stay off your phone.

Because technology now runs the world, people use their phones as a security blanket. Don't. It's so tempting to just text a friend in another class if you don't know anyone in the class you're in. Stay off your phone, be willing to spark or engage in a conversation. Don't seem like you're always invested in your phone 24/7.

Get plenty of sleep the night before.

Nothing is more worse than going into a new situation absolutely exhausted. I am at my worst when I'm exhausted and can't focus on anything. Just make sure you have enough sleep, you'll feel so much better!


          

4 comments:

  1. These are such great tips! I especially agree with your point that if you love what you are wearing you will project more confidence and not be nervous & fiddling with your outfit! Look fabulous, feel fabulous! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. awesome tips! my favorite is the phone one, you miss out on so much if you're only paying attention to your phone!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from y'all so don't be afraid to comment! I read them all and I try to respond to everyone!
Keep in mind if your comment is rude or irrelevant I do reserve the right to take it down. I like to keep my blog a fun and happy place that people enjoy coming to and I just ask that you respect that!