Friday, August 5, 2016

Why Your Skin Isn't Clearing Up

Yup, I'm posting another skincare post. Have you realized I've become obsessed with skincare? After extensive research and personal experience I have figured out why my skin isn't clearing up. I want to share with y'all everything that caused my skin to breakout and hopefully these tips will help you. NOW I want to say what works for me might not work for you.  Not all skin is created equal and sometimes you just have to figure out what works and what doesn't work for you. 

Anyways, this is a long post so lets get into talking skincare!

Pic Via

DIET

Your diet is everything for the health of your skin. What you put in shows on the outside. Greasy fast foods wont give you flawless skin, excess sugary foods wont give you flawless skin. You don't need to go full vegetarian, but you need to be aware of what breaks you out food wise. For me, I can't eat a lot of peanuts and tree nuts as well as an abundance of sugary foods. I recommend looking at a face map like this because it maps certain areas of your face where you're breaking out and gives you some insight one what you need to do to clear that area up. I have been using face maps for a while and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't clear up my skin as well as I thought, but it gives me insight on what foods I need to cut back on to get the flawless skin I want.

THE CLIMATE

This is something that you can't control (well, unless you move). My skin breaks out so, so much during the summer because the heat causes sweat and sweat clogs your pores. One thing I do to try to counter act that though is just washing my face more frequently. If I've been sweating a little more than normal to get all that dirt and oil off of my face.

NOT CLEANING MAKEUP BRUSHES/ SPONGES

This can be a HUGE contender to breaking out if you wear makeup. Makeup brushes and especially sponges can harness a ton of bacteria that can clog your pores and break you out. For cleaning makeup brushes I always use baby shampoo. It's a deep cleaner that is cheap, gentle enough to use on expensive brushes, and it helps to moisturize your brushes. I run my brushes under warm water, swoosh them in my hand with some baby shampoo, and then lay them on a towel to dry over night. I recommend doing this once a week to be extra sure that your brushes are clean and not holding a ton of bacteria. Sponges wise, I prefer using disposable ones that I throw out after every use. I know the Beauty Blender is hyped a lot and there are ways to clean them. Also, it's ideal to throw out makeup sponges about every 2 to 3 months because they get old and nasty.

NOT THROWING OUT OLD MAKEUP

Just like makeup brushes holding onto old makeup like powders, concealers, bronzers, and highlighters can cause your skin to breakout because they also hold bacteria. It's best to throw out old makeup about every 6 months to one year. This is my favorite chart to check when I need to throw certain products out

BEING IN THE SUN WITHOUT PROTECTION

Have you ever looked at your skin and noticed a spot that isn't a zit but it has the same coloring? Or you come back in from being in the sun and all your acne seems darker? That's hyperpigmentation. Not having sun protection 30 and up on your skin can cause the sun to practically  stain the acne on your face. It's like a freckle, but no where near as cute. Now, some people believe the sun clears their acne, but what's really happening is that the skin around the acne spot is darkening and almost matching the acne scar, but once your tan fades your acne seems dark and very prominent. That's because your acne was "stained" on your face. 

NOT TAKING OFF YOUR MAKEUP

I know this is preached so often, but it is very logical. The oil and dirt and makeup latch onto your skin and not washing off your makeup can cause it to seep into your pores. All that oil and dirt infects the pore and causes a breakout. If you are too tired to wash your face, at least keep makeup wipes in your bedside table and wipe your face before you fall asleep. It wont have the same effect as washing your face, but your still cleaning off some of the bacteria on your face. 

NOT CHANGING YOUR PILLOW CASE

My worse breakouts occur because I only change my pillow case once a week. When I change it mid way through the week, as well as when I wash my sheets my skin is 10 times cleaner than if I don't. Oil, dirt, bacteria, dead skin, all cover your pillow case and all of those things can reach into your pores and clog them. It's an easy and simple task to do and you'll see a difference.

NOT TAKING THE PROPER STEPS IN YOUR SKINCARE ROUTINE

Knowing your skin type and how your skin reacts to certain ingredients can save you from insane dry patches or insane breakouts. I've said this many times on the blog, I have very oily acne prone skin. I use semi strong products, but can never ever use salicylic acid because it dries out my skin too much. I also always have to put on moisturizer after I wash my face because it feels so dry. It's really all trial and error to figure out and using many products. 

NOT CLEANING YOUR PHONE

This can be a huge contender to your breakouts. We are all on our phones, but none of us realize our phones can be almost as dirty as a toilet seat. Even if you aren't putting your phone up against your face, touching your phone and then touching your face can spread the bacteria. All you need to do is very lightly wet a paper towel with rubbing alcohol. Make sure it's not soaking or you could ruin your phone.

TOUCHING YOUR FACE TOO MUCH

Do not touch your face! I understand it can be impossible not to rest your chin or cheek on your hand in a boring class or meeting, but try your hardest not to touch any inch of it. There is so much bacteria and oils on your hands that can really break you out, so just stop!

NOT HYDRATING ENOUGH

Drinking plenty of water not only brightens and hydrates your skin, but it's flushing out all of the toxins in your body. I have a post on my tips and tricks to drinking more water!



          

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from y'all so don't be afraid to comment! I read them all and I try to respond to everyone!
Keep in mind if your comment is rude or irrelevant I do reserve the right to take it down. I like to keep my blog a fun and happy place that people enjoy coming to and I just ask that you respect that!