lables posts

Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Makeup Essentials for a Beginner

By now, I imagine a vast majority of people are in school. I like to try and put my best foot forward most days at school, but I never want to put a full face of makeup on. One thing I do know though is that a lot of people don't know how to put on makeup. I was in the same boat a couple years ago in middle school and the reason I learned how to do my makeup is because of YouTube beauty gurus. Don't get me wrong, though, I am no professional makeup artist, and I still walk through the makeup aisles and get stressed seeing all the makeup options now. I have found a lot of products that really help to give me a nice natural makeup look and I want to share some of my favorite everyday makeup products with y'all.


Skincare

My complete and detailed skin care routine. It's very important to have a great skincare routine because it is the base you put your makeup on. I have found that this skincare routine is something that has saved my skin from bad acne breakouts. 



My absolute favorite mask for acne and oily skin! (Blog post coming soon!) This has been the biggest contender to fixing my really bad acne!

Everyday Makeup

FOUNDATION

I have been LOVING L'Oreal Infallible Pro Matte foundation. I have insanely oily skin and this helps to keep me matte for about four to five hours. This foundation really likes to cling onto dry patches which can be a pretty big minus, but I control that by putting on moisturizer and primer. The range of shades isn't the best because they have very yellow undertones. I find the lightest shade is a more neutral to cool undertone. If you can't find a good shade I have linked some other pretty good foundations below, this one just helps to keep me matte all day. It's a medium coverage and gives a very natural finish, but doesn't always cover dark acne/ hyperpigmentation spots (which can be fixed with concealer.) You can, of course, build the coverage up, but sometimes this causes a very cakey and unnatural look.

$10.59, avaliable at Target 
$12.99 avaliable at Ulta

CONCEALER

The Maybelline Fit Me Concealer is my absolute favorite concealer because it stays on all day long. It provides very good coverage for dark circles and I find this works very good on acne spots and any red areas on your face. BUT don't put the applicator directly on any acne spots! I always swipe the applicator on my CLEAN finger and then dab it on any spots. This just keeps any and all bacteria out of the product so you're not spreading any of that gunk all over your face after using it.

$4.39, available at Target
$6.00 available at Ulta

POWDER

L'Oreal Infallible Pro Matte Powder has also become my new favorite. Just like the foundation it keeps me matte all day long and doesn't give me a cakey look. Just like the foundation, it looks very natural.

$10.59, available at Target
$12.99 available at Ulta

BLUSH

The Covergirl Instant Cheekbones in Refined Rose gives a very natural looking flush. For skin that's on the pale side I recommend using the middle and lightest shade mixed together. I find the dark pink shade makes me look like a clown and I only use that shade when I have a bit of a tan. I have been using this since the seventh grade and couldn't love it more!

$5.24, available at Walmart
$6.49, available at Ulta

EYEBROWS

I absolutely, 110% recommend using the NYX Eyebrow Cake Powder. It stays on all day long and they have a decent variety of shade ranges. It gives a very natural look and I have been using this product since the 7th grade.

$5.99, avaliable at Target
$5.99, avaliable at Ulta

To set your eyebrows (which is VERY necessary) I use the Covergirl Professional Natural Lash Mascara in clear to set them. This keeps my eyebrows shaped and in place. You need a clear mascara if you fill in your eyebrows. I have also been using this since the 7th grade, haha.

$4.49, avaliable at Target
$5.49, avaliable at Ulta


EYE SHADOW PRIMER


You NEED a primer for eye shadow or it will crease and wear off throughout the day. I find that Elf is the only eyeshadow primer that really lasts all day and never makes my eye shadows crease! It might be cheap, but it's amazing!!!

$2, available at Target.com 
 $2 , available at Ulta.com

EYE SHADOW


I hardly use eyeshadow on a daily basis, but when I do I LOVE this trio! For such cheap eye shadows, these shadows have the quality of MAC. Walking on Eggshells is my favorite all-natural palette.

$2.29, available at Target

MASCARA

The only brand I have ever found to have amazing mascaras is Maybelline, but my absolute all time favorite is the Maybelline Illegal Length Mascara. It not only gives some length to your lashes but also provides some volume. Depending on how many coats you use, this can either seem very natural or very "fake" looking. I absolutely love this mascara and couldn't recommend it more!

$6.69, available at Target
$8.99 available at Ulta

TOOLS

I love a lot of elf brushes and this brush has never shed on me. It's an amazing price for such an amazing brush!

Another Elf brush that's amazing! Again, it has never shed on me and I've had this brush for years!!!

People always rave about the Beauty Blender, and yes it's probably amazing, BUT it's HORRIBLE for acne prone skin. Acne prone skin needs everything to be clean 24/7 because any bacteria can cause a breakout. People always bash disposable sponges, but I find them amazing. They blend out my foundation and concealer flawlessly!


ADDITIONAL PRODUCTS

-Revlon Colorstay for Combination/ Oily Skin Foundation provides a nice amount of coverage and has a lot of shade ranges. I never found this foundation "life changing" as others have, but just as another option this is a good foundation and it's pretty popular in the beauty community.

-Maybelline Clean Oil Control Foundation I liked for a long time, but this didn't keep me matte at all! I also didn't like the shade range, but I am very pale. I have heard good reviews about this and enjoyed the coverage it gave me, but the color range isn't my favorite and it didn't give me a matte finish.

-L'Oreal True Match Foundation is absolutely amazing shade range wise. I enjoyed using this and used it for a long time, but this also didn't keep me matte for a long time. This is a medium coverage, and everyone can find their perfect shade. 

-Maybelline Fit Me Blush is also a good blush, but I found it wasn't as pigmented as the Covergirl blush. This blush also shatters very easily!

-Clean and Clear Morning Burst Moisturizer was something I used for a long time, but I never felt like it moisturized enough. It's a decent moisturizer for people who don't have terrible dry patches.


I hope this helped and if you have any questions feel free to leave them in the comments or email me!

XO- Alyson

2 comments:

I love hearing from y'all so don't be afraid to comment! I read them all and I try to respond to everyone!
Keep in mind if your comment is rude or irrelevant I do reserve the right to take it down. I like to keep my blog a fun and happy place that people enjoy coming to and I just ask that you respect that!