Friday, September 30, 2016

What You Should Do Before You Drop a Hard Class

Now that everyone is a couple weeks into the school year, we're all getting a sweet and bitter taste on how some of our classes are going to be. This time of the year has always been so stressful for me because I'm experiencing the work load of my classes, getting test grades back, and seeing that some assignments don't add up the way I want them to. It's the time where I, and my peers, all panic and consider changing to lower classes. Before taking the leap though, I have made a list that might help everyone reconsider their decision of switching out of any classes.
Pic Via

1.) Reflect on your grades in ALL of your classes.

With my multiple AP classes, a lot of the time I just sit back and want to cry over the work load. Tests seem daunting, papers seem undo-able, and spending 6 hours on homework almost every night just seems exhausting. The funny part is, now that we're a couple weeks into school, that workload is bearable because I'm good at the subjects I have AP classes in. Instead I can focus on my Chemistry class and Pre Calc class, which are harder than my AP classes.

2.) Talk to the teacher in the class you're having trouble in.

Before making any sudden decision GO TO YOUR TEACHER. They are there to help you through the learning process, not just to write a big ol' A or F on your paper. You could go before or after school (I wouldn't recommend planning periods because that's a teachers sacred time to answer emails, and well plan). Just ask them about how they think your performance has been. How they think your grade is compared to your class, how your class work and tests reflect what you should know about the subject. And whether or not you're just average and are able to squeeze through the class. I can guarantee you they will try and help you as much as they can before sending you away to another class. 

3.) Consider tutoring sessions.

No you are not stupid for needing a tutor, in fact you're smart because you've decided not to give up on the class and are willing to admit you need help. Ever notice that the smartest kid in class is the one who always asks questions? They just take the time to ask the teacher questions on topics they don't know and use the teacher as their tutor. They may seem to get the best grade and are able to answer all the questions because they're not afraid to ask for help when they don't understand. 

4.) Ask your counselor.

Counselorss keep track of your transcript, and everyone elses. Obviously they wont show you other peoples transcripts, but they can lead you down the right path on whether or not you should switch. They can gauge how your GPA would end up or even give you suggestions on out of school help for your subject.

5.) Ask kids in the class you want to switch into how it is.

If worse comes to worse, and you do decide to switch, ask kids you know who are in the class you're switching into about their thoughts on it. You'll get insight on how the teacher teaches, how the class behaves, and the work load. It's best to go in with a broad idea of how the class will be than a narrow view.

6 comments:

  1. Great advice!! I think it is always important to make sure you are doing everything you can to do your best before deciding to drop!

    Ashley // MyWellDressedLife.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just thinking today about dropping my hardest class, but this post made me reconsider. Thank you for sharing this.

    XO, Brooke
    https://livethepreplife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how you give great school advice-you have a real knack for it!
    Katelyn http://www.theyellowspectacles.com/

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from y'all so don't be afraid to comment! I read them all and I try to respond to everyone!
Keep in mind if your comment is rude or irrelevant I do reserve the right to take it down. I like to keep my blog a fun and happy place that people enjoy coming to and I just ask that you respect that!